Arthur Pressman is a full-time mediator and arbitrator with four decades of legal experience. Arthur has mediated and arbitrated more than 150 cases. For more than 40 years, Arthur’s practice concentrated on litigation and arbitration of commercial matters, principally involving franchising, distribution, licensing, intellectual property, and related fields. Arthur prides himself on providing parties and counsel with an efficient, fair, and final resolution of their dispute as promptly as possible.
Prior to his full-time dispute resolution practice, Arthur was a leading franchise lawyer with a nationwide practice for 40 years. Arthur served as an equity partner at Nixon Peabody LLP from 2003 to 2017, and senior counsel at Nixon Peabody LLP from 2017 to 2019, resident in its Boston, Massachusetts office. Until Arthur’s retirement, he was listed as a Band 1 Notable Practitioner in the field of franchise law by Chambers USA and regularly featured in Best Lawyers in America for franchise law.
In addition to his conflict resolution work, Arthur is also actively engaged in several professional organizations. Arthur is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators. Previously, Arthur was the Board chair of South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. which provides free civil legal services to over 4,000 elderly, working poor, or poverty level clients a year throughout Cape Cod, the Islands, and southeastern Massachusetts.
Arthur is also an adjunct law professor at Boston University School of Law, where he has taught Representing Clients in Litigation, Professional Responsibility, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and Negotiation. Arthur has also taught courses on franchising and franchise law at Babson College and Temple University School of Law. Additionally, Arthur has also lectured extensively at continuing education programs of the International Franchise Association and the American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and the Massachusetts Bar Association on a variety of subjects, including the intersection of franchising, employment law, and vicarious liability.
Arthur L. Pressman Dispute Resolution Services LLC
- Independent Full-time Neutral serving as mediator, arbitrator, neutral evaluator, early dispute resolution consultant
- Expert witness in legal matters, including malpractice, involving franchise-related issues
- IMI Certified International Mediator based on peer-review of more than 25 mediations in 2018
- CPR Distinguished Neutral Panel Member
- Vienna CDRC IBA Mediation Competition Expert Assessor and Coach
- ICC International Mediation Competition Judge
- Arbitrator of Commercial, IP and Franchise Disputes, Large Complex Case Panel, American Arbitration Association
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Adjunct law professor, Boston University School of Law, since 2012/ ADR, Negotiation, Professional Responsibility, Representing Clients in Civil Litigation
Since 2017 Arthur has mediated more than 50 franchise-related matters, including multi-party matters, that involved franchise, distributor and dealer claims, franchise association claims, franchisee claims against other franchisees, multi-party claims against franchisors, employment and misclassification class action claims, claims by franchisees arising from franchise system restructuring, international franchise agreement termination and non-renewal claims, and numerous non-franchise matters, including partnership claims, lawyer/client disputes, consumer claims, vendor-vendee claims, and intellectual property claims, including trademark infringement.